Saturday, January 31, 2009

A total Mamma's boy

The little guy is such a Mamma's boy sometimes it's not even funny. At gymnastics today he wanted me to be right next to him the whole time and freaked out every time I tried to take a seat on the sideline. Instead of participating, he clung to me. I said to hubby, "I think it would be better if I left." He agreed.

So I toodled on off to do a few errands. I could hear him crying after me but I didn't look back.

When I returned there were only 10 minutes left in the class. Unspotted, I tiptoed into the gym and watched in amazement. Not only was he grinning from ear to ear, he was fully participating and actively listening to his teacher. Hubby told me that the second I left he transformed into a totally different kid. The teacher and all of the other parents were completely blown away by how much he changed when "mom" was out of the room.

Get this. One of the other kids decided that he didn't want any help on the balance beam and crossed it all by himself. The little guy decided that he too didn't need any help and walked across the beam unassisted both forwards and backwards (and the beam is pretty high off the ground!). If I had been in the room he would have cowered and demanded I hold on to him the whole time.

He's the same way when I volunteer at nursery school. He clings to me and follows me around like a puppy dog. But I hear from others about how he normally integrates beautifully with the other kids, and is totally happy go lucky. It would be nice if, for once, I could actually witness this with my own two eyes.

On the one hand, it's nice to be so loved. On the other, it's not healthy for him to be like static cling. Until things change I'm afraid I'm going to have to pull a few more disappearing acts.

No comments: