Sunday, January 18, 2009

Parenting 101

I have to admit that I was taken aback when someone I admire and respect greatly gently suggested that it might be time to look into some parenting classes. My jaw just about hit the floor. I was speechless. The words stung me like a slap across the face.

In the few weeks following, I've been thinking a great deal about what she said. I know she didn't mean it as an insult. As a lifelong child educator her advice was well intentioned. I think she believes that all parents should take parenting classes and should seek out opportunities to improve their parenting skills. But, even so, I couldn't help taking what she said personally and questioning what I was doing wrong.

On the whole I think that I'm a very good parent. I'm definitely not perfect but I "mostly" do all the right things. My biggest flaw (which I openly admit) is that I get frustrated easily by whining and nagging. Whining is like nails on a chalkboard to me and the little guy knows it and uses this to push my buttons. Hubby often tells me to stay more relaxed and positive. When I am able to stay positive it definitely pays off, but sometimes it's really really tough.

I haven't looked into any parenting classes (and I'm not sure if I will). But I did order a few select parenting books, including The No-Cry Discipline Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. I really liked a couple of her other No-Cry books: The No-Cry Sleep Solution and The No Cry Toilet Training Solution. I find her advice very down to earth and practical. Her parenting style also meshes with mine. A lot of what she writes in the book is stuff I already know but sometimes forget. Like the importance of using humour, for example. I often get find myself getting negative which makes the little guy's behavior go into a downward spiral.

I also need to get better about preventing tantrums and whining and analyzing why and when these behaviours occur. The book offers up a lot of good strategies for addressing these and other not-so-nice situations. Many of them I already use, but I've also come away with a whole new pile of tricks to try.

On the whole the little guy is pretty well-behaved but, like all children, he has his moments. I guess a little education on my part couldn't hurt. And when I'm finished, I'll pass the books along to hubby to read (even though when it comes to parenting he's practically perfect in every way). Ultimately, the more educated we are as parents, the more happy and peaceful our life with baby boy will be!

No comments: