Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Yellow teetee

Yellow teetee (blankie) goes everywhere with baby boy. It gets dragged in and out of the house, in and out of the car, on and off the table. If there was a first class seat for blankies, yellow teetee would be riding in it.

We do have some other, lesser teetees. These are usually only used in emergencies (i.e. yellow teetee is in the wash), or at the same time as yellow teetee. Baby boy's philosophy when it comes to fuzzy blankets is the more the merrier.

A couple of months ago, one of my friends called me from Toys r' Us to say that she found yellow teetee. She asked if we'd like her to pick up a backup. "Yes!" I said. I've always secretly worried about what would happen if yellow teetee got lost or damaged beyond repair. A second one, I thought, we be just as much of a security blanket for me as it was for him.

Baby boy's eyes lit up when we unveiled "new yellow teetee". He was delighted until he realized it didn't quite smell or feel like his other blanket. So, I threw it in the wash a few times in a row. Dragged it around the house. Rolled it in the dirt. Sent it off to daycare. But it will never hold the same status as his original yellow teetee.

If anything, adding a second yellow teetee to the mix has complicated matters. When I hand him the newer model he says, "No, I want old yellow teetee." If I give him the old one, he demands the presence of the new one as well. He's also become ultra protective of his old friend -- like he's afraid we're trying to replace it.

Old yellow teetee is sitting in the car right now. I forgot to bring it in earlier, and somehow this escaped baby boy's notice. Or at least until bedtime. He wailed and cried from the room "I want the other yellow teetee." Call me a monster if you like, but there is no way I'm putting on my boots and heading down to the garage to fetch it. He has three other teetees with him in the bed keeping him company.

So a word to the wise. New doesn't necessarily mean improved.

No comments: