Friday, March 07, 2008

Shaping up

On Wednesday I had another session with my personal trainer. He set up a workout plan for me which is either going to kill me, or get me in kick ass shape. As he was going through my workout plan for the next nine weeks, he made me try out all of the exercises to make sure I had the proper form etc. I felt like I was at boot camp.

At one point he told me to drop and give him ten push-ups. Real push-ups not the lady kind. If my nose didn't completely touch the floor, he told me it didn't count and made me do it over again. Oh the pain!!! And the sit-ups were even worse. They had to be full sit-ups, not those little crunches that I usually do. My abs are stiff beyond belief. And so our my arms and shoulders from all of the weightlifting he made me do.

I have three workouts that I have to follow per week. They are circuits that I have to do three times in a row as quickly as I can with no breaks in between exercises. Today, I completely workout 1 on my own. It's only supposed to take 20 minutes. It took me close to 25. And I cheated. Instead of doing 15 reps of some of the weight exercises, I only did 10. Frankly I couldn't handle more than that. Even with my corner cutting, I barely had the energy to walk out of the gym.

And did I mention that these workouts are only to supplement my runs? Yes, in addition to going through hell 3 times a week, I'm going to have to go out running. The trainer told me if I followed his plan, I'd cruise through my 10-km race with no problems.

On Wednesday we also talked about nutrition. I had to log everything I ate for a week and he reviewed it. Overall he was pleased with my eating habits, although he wanted me to add more veggies to my dinnertime menu and cut back on the bread and grains. The veggie part surprised me because I already eat lots and lots of fruits and vegetables every day. My favourite quote from the session was, "Don't think about it as feeding your body, but rather as fueling the machine."

Right now I'm fueling up on gin and 7-up. It's helping to sooth my sore muscles.

One day down, about a million more to go. Good lord what have I gotten myself into?

No comments: