Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Picking up bad habits

The little guy is fully capable of pronouncing all of his words properly -- or at least when feels like it. Lately, he's been imitating one of his friends, who has difficulties pronouncing certain words. Here are a few examples:

Instead of saying "water" she says "wy-er". Spider is "Spy-er".

Lately, the little guy is imitating her all the time and it's driving me crazy. Especially since he makes an effort to over pronounce these words incorrectly.

The other day he said, "Mom, the dolphin is diving in the wyyyyy---errrr." I asked him what wy-er was? When he repeated it over and over again I finally said, "Oh, you mean water."

Whenever he asks for a glass of "wyy-er" I tell him I don't understand what he wants. I make him ask me over and over again, until he says water properly.

Of course, he's now figured out that he can get me all worked up and frustrated by his mispronunciations. So what used to be a bad habit is now just a game to push mommy's buttons.

Help!

1 comment:

raino said...

gosh. they're so darn smart eh. wasn't it so much easier when they didn't talk or move! hee hee