Sunday, November 12, 2006

Go organic!

I was inspired to join a local organics club after hearing an interview with Thomas Pawlick, author of The end of food: How the food industry is destroying our food supply - and what we can do about it. His book is full of disturbing facts about supermarket produce -- including how many of the tomatoes found there are gassed to make them turn red. An interview with Pawlick can be found online at http://gremolata.com/buford.htm. It's pretty disturbing stuff!

In any case, it sparked me to rethink the fruits and veggies I feed my family. They deserve fresh produce that is pesticide and sodium (yes, sodium!) free, and rich with nutrients (unlike many found in the supermarket that are mass produced in nutrient depleted soil).

I signed up for a weekly $20 organics basket. This week it contained: 2 lemons, 2 avacados, 1 bunch of celery, 2 zuccinis, 2 green peppers, 2 kiwis, 6 plums, 3 apples, a bunch of kale, a large container of strawberries and a basket of cherry tomatoes. I couldn't by that for $20 - organic or not at this time of year! It's a really good deal. Plus, now that I'm a member, I get a discount on all organic products.

The only challenge my basket has created thus far is: what do I make out of kale? If you have any good kale recipes, let me know!

I can't wait to get the next basket. I love that you don't know in advance what you're going to get. It's like x-mas morning every week (oh god, I'm such a nerd!!!).

No comments: