Monday, October 23, 2006

The scoop on travelling with a baby

I used to an expert at packing lightly. If it couldn't fit into a carry-on bag, I left it behind. Well, gone are the days when I could avoid waiting for luggage at the airport. Travelling with an infant is a large-scale operation that takes days of planning. There's the stroller, the car seat, the eating supplies, diaper bag, toys....

Forget the carry-on bag, I need the biggest suitcase they make!!!

I've travelled a lot with the little guy over the past year so I can pass on this advice:

1. Buy diapers and wipes when you reach your destination. I only bring what I need in my diaper bag (I use a knapsack instead of an actual diaper bag. It's way more practical!!)
2. Baby food can also be purchased later. Just make sure you have enough on hand in case there are travel delays. I always carry a sippy cup, spoon, fast drying bib, and lots of snacks in my diaper bag.
3. Don't try to save room by skimping on the baby clothes. I've made this mistake only once. Drool, diaper leaks, and food spills can happen at the most inopportune moments. I always plan two outfits for every day I'm away, plus a couple of extras for the diaper bag.
4. Disregard pointer #3 if you will have access to laundry facilities. I always make use of my mother's washing machine when I come to visit. This makes a huge difference in the number of clothing items I pack for the baby and myself.
5. Instead of using a toiletry bag, I usually use a ziplock bag. It's way more compact!
6. Only pack small toys and books (books fit into the front zip up parts on your suitcase). If you are going to be staying with relatives, only bring enough toys to occupy the little one while in transit. Ask your relatives to get some toys from the dollar store or a thrift store before you arrive.
7. I never pack magazines or books for myself. I'm way to busy attending to the little one to actually read anything. On the off chance that he falls asleep, I find a newspaper, or watch the movie.
8. Get to the airport early. Everything takes longer when travelling with a baby!
9. Get to where you are going in the most direct way possible, even if it's more expensive. The price of your sanity is worth the extra cost of a direct flight!
10. If you are renting a car, get the biggest one they have. Compact cars don't cut it -- trust me on this one!
11. Don't cram too many activities into a day when you take a baby on vacation. If you do, you'll have a cranky baby on your hands.
12. If you've had a busy day order room service or eat at the hotel restaurant. Trust me when I say this will make your life a lot easier.
13. Make friends and relatives come to you instead of the other way around. They'll be happy to visit you on your terms if it means seeing the baby. The more can limit trips in the car, the better!
14. Ask for an extra seat on the plane, if it's not full. The staff will be more than happy to accomodate you.
15. Bring a compact stroller instead of one of those SUV-like joggers. Airlines will let you take a small stroller right to the gate, but not a big brute.
16. Pack your sling in the carry-on in case the airline makes you check your stroller. It does happen from time to time, so you need a back-up plan for hauling your precious cargo!
17. Never pack towels, soap or shampoo. They are always available no matter where you are staying.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go pack. We're leaving on a 4-day trip tonight.

Bon voyage!

No comments: