Tuesday, December 07, 2010

A love letter to my little boy on his 5th birthday

I've taken the idea of writing a love letter from Danigirl. It's a nice way to mark a milestone.

************************

Dear Little Guy,

I can't believe that you are 5-years old already! That makes you such a big boy. I know that you've been looking forward to this birthday for months. Lately, virtually every sentence that comes out of your mouth starts with, "When I'm five I'm going to...."

In the last year you have done a lot of growing up. You went from being incredibly timid on the play structure to a total daredevil. Last year you had a very hard time following instructions in gymnastics class. This year, you are a role model to the other kids. Last year, you were shy and socially awkward. You still are sometimes in new situations but, once you've eased in, you are so outgoing and fun to be with.

Recently I spied on you outside your classroom. I watched you hanging out with the other kids. I could tell that they all love hanging out with you. When I ask you about your day at school it's like pulling teeth trying to get any details. Spying on you for five minutes told me so much. It's quite obvious that you love school. For you it's a place of laughter and fun and discovery.

You have the best imagination of any kid I know. If I put you in an empty room with some mundane objects, you would find a way to transform the space into a magical wonderland. And even though you have oodles of toys, you are just as happy to play with a coaster, a rock or a piece of string. My favourite was the day you found a bunch of bowls and an empty aquarium and created your very own frog exhibit like the one at the Museum of Nature. Or the "simple machine" you made out of lego, a stack of toilet paper rolls and a plunger.

These days you can't get enough of your Playmobiles, farm animals and building blocks. I can't walk into a room without tripping over a farm, or a a crocodile pond, or an animal transport vehicle of some sort. I actually hate cleaning up at the end of the day because I feel like I'm destroying a piece of art!

We are so proud of how well you are doing at school! You have a natural aptitude for reading and writing. Last year you had a hard time writing your name in a straight line. Now you can write out sentences with perfectly formed letters. But, even more amazing, is that you know how to read a lot of words. Wow! The teacher also says you are so good with the other kids. You always go out of your way to make sure that no one is left out of the group. The teacher said that this was unusual for a kid your age. When there are disagreements, the teacher says you suggest ways that everyone can cooperate.

I don't remember having a best friend at your age, but you seem to have several of them. SM, of course, being the best friend of all. Both of you have been going to the same home daycare since you turned 1. You fight all the time but hard feelings never last long (even after the biting incident last summer). The two of you are inseparable.

You used to be hesitant to try new foods but we've made a lot of progress over the last year. There are still some things you won't touch (like sauce) but you will always at least take one bite (with persuasion). Avacado rolls, hamburgers and "steak on the bone" are your favourite meals next to peanut butter on toast. If I let you, you would eat peanut butter exclusively. Thankfully, despite your fussiness, we can always count on you to eat your fruits and vegetables. I don't think you've ever met one that you don't like.

Although it usually takes some convincing, once we get you into the great outdoors you love it. We go hiking and canoeing all the time in the warmer months. You love seeing nature up close and are always jumping into the bush to catch a frog or a butterfly.

If you could have three wishes, they would be to:
1) stay home and play all day
2) eat treats to your heart's content (you've inherited my sweet tooth)
3) be surrounded by family (grandparents, cousins, mom and dad) and friends ALL the time

I could go on and on, but I need to save some material for future blog posts. But what you need to know is that Mommy and Daddy are so proud of you and we love you more than anything in the world.

1 comment:

redmom said...

Awe!! Sounds like he's getting so big...and too darn fast too! I wish you were closer, I really think your little guy and my littlest guy would be bestest friends!!!

Big belated 5th birthday hugs!!