Thursday, August 06, 2009

Today was my "lucky" day

I have to carry around a Blackberry during the week. Occasionally (once a month) one of my clients will call me on it if they have something urgent to talk about. So you can imagine my surprise when my Blackberry was ringing off the hook this morning.

The first call was really strange. When I answered the man on the other end of the line (who sounded old and perhaps a little intoxicated) told me his name was Joe. I asked him why he was calling. He said, "My friend gave me your number." I knew then and there that he had the wrong number. I asked, "are you calling for communications advice?" He hung up on me.

Not five minutes later the phone rang again. A different number. When I answered using my name, the male who was calling said, "Oh sorry, I must have the wrong number."

When 10 minutes later I got yet another phone call from another strange number, I realized something weird was going on. The man I spoke to this time said, "Is Lucky there?" Hmmmmm.....how many people do you know named Lucky? And how many people do you know named lucky who work for the government? Definitely the wrong number. I asked him how he got my number and he was reluctant to answer. After fumbling for a second he said my number was left on his answering machine. I told him that I was wondering who had left the number on his machine because I had already had a few other wrong numbers this morning. He repeated the line about the answering machine and quickly hung up.

I checked my phone log. It turns out that I had also received calls at 2:00 am, 3:00 am and 4:00 am -- all from different numbers. Let me guess that they were all calls from lonely men?

Half an hour later, caller #2 rang me a second time. When he realized that I wasn't "Lucky" he hung up. I did a search on Canada411 and discovered he was calling from a Zeller's store. A boring day at the office, maybe?

Whoever Lucky is, she sure missed a lot of calls today. 10 or 12 at least.

I'm pretty sure that someone accidentally printed my phone number in a personal ad. I wasn't sure what to do. Should I answer the phone in a sexy voice? Pretend that Lucky wasn't here right now and take a message? Pretty tempting but frankly I wasn't getting any work done with all of the phone interruptions. So I called the Help Desk and asked them to change my Blackberry number. They were very understanding about the situation.

So tomorrow I get a new number. Guess those guys didn't get "Lucky" today :-)

No comments: