Tuesday, February 13, 2007

I feel so rejected

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad (extatic even!) that the little guy loves daycare. It's just that I wish he'd act a little happier to see me when I picked him up. I always feel like I'm crashing a party that I wasn't invited to.

Yesterday, he was busy cooking up a storm in the play kitchen when I rudely interrupted him. And today, I got between him and a joy ride with a giant toy bus.

Half the time, he doesn't even notice me when I walk into the house. Or, if he does, he gives me a quick smile and then turns back to the fun activity of the moment. No hugs. No kisses. No "I'm so glad to see you mom" glances. When I go over to pick him up, he protests loudly and tries to squirm away.

Sigh....Does he know that I think about him all day long? That I count the hours and minutes until I get to leave to pick him up? That I can wait to embrace him the second I walk through the door? Of course not. He's much to busy to notice any of that. I know, I know. That's a good thing. It means he's happy, well-adjusted etc. I'm just feeling a little rejected, is all.

And that's just at the end of the day. In the morning, he can't wait to get out the door. Even before he's had his breakfast, he starts dragging his snowsuit and boots around the house as if to say, "Come on, hurry up! I'm going to be late for daycare!"

My feeling of rejection melt away once we get home, and he realizes that "hey, hanging out with mom can be fun too!" I may not offer the same level of entertainment as daycare, but to my credit I can build a very nice tower (for him to knock down). I do great animal impressions when I read Barnyard Dance (a thousand times a day). I have a good repetoire of songs, which I sing on demand (with hand actions). I also dance on demand (and boy do I have some good dance moves!). I let him play with REAL pots and pans in a REAL kitchen (and I even let him pull crackers out of the box all by himself). I am always up for the "upside down" game, the "roar" game, and the "I'm going to get you" game (his favourites). Plus, I give special mommy hugs. Only I can do that.

No comments: