Thursday, May 17, 2007

The things that make me wonder

Every morning, driven hopelessly by my caffeine addiction, I stop at Starbucks on my way to work. And almost every morning I see "Jesus guy" sitting on a bench in the corner. This guy is always robed in clear plastic bags, with a sign on his back that says "Jesus is power." He doesn't wear shoes, but rather ties cardboard boxes around his feet. Sometimes I see him walking around downtown. Every time I look down at the cardboard under his feet I think of clown shoes. People always veer away from him on the sidewalk, as is nature to do when someone appears a bit "crazy."

Most mornings I see him sitting at Starbucks, often chanting his prayers aloud. I'm not sure what language he is speaking -- my guess is that he is from an African country. He is obviously quite devoted to his beliefs. But every time I see him, I note the coffee cup on the table in front of him. I always wonder if, like me, he is a coffee addict. Or maybe he drinks tea or water. I am dying to know what this guy -- who swears off shoes -- drinks in the morning. Does he spend $1.75 or more on a cup 'o joe or do the friendly Starbucks employees give him freebies when he stop by?

*************************

Other things that make we wonder:

- why some men comb-over bald spots. Just shave it off already!
- why people will wait in a 10 car line-up with engines running to save a few cents on gas
- why not everyone loves Turkish delight as much as I do
- why the reality television craze continues
- why do we work 5-day work weeks? Shouldn't the world be set up to maximize time away from the office?
- why do women who live/work in close quarters menstruate at the same time
- why do people rush through the Louvre to see the Mona Lisa and ignore all the other artwork along the way
- why do people think running marathons is fun

No comments: