Wednesday, September 06, 2006

A wildlife warrior to the end

I was shocked to hear of Steve Irwin’s (AKA the Crocodile Hunter) death earlier this week. He seemed to be invincible, the way he always manhandled the world’s deadliest of creatures with such ease and comfort.

I was a big fan of the lovable lunatic. No matter how many times I watched him wrestle a crocodile or poisonous snake to the ground, he never ceased to amaze me. And I always laughed really hard when he would proclaim, “What a beaut!” or "Crikey" in his delightful Australian accent.

Steve Irwin truly lived up to his “wildlife warrior” image, committing his life to protecting the animals he loved – furry, scaly, creepy-crawly and otherwise.

In the end it was a stingray that killed him – stabbing him in the heart with its poisonous barb. At least he died doing what he loved best – frolicking up close with nature. I’ll miss you mate!

No comments: