Saturday, September 16, 2006

Late adopters get the worm

I bought a laptop this weekend and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was significantly less expensive than my old one, and could do fancier tricks! It's also a lot prettier (I bought a shiny, white MacBook).

Home electronics are one of the few things that go down in price over time. I remember paying $2000+ for my first computer in university. A computer that, by today's standards, would be worth absolutely nothing. I probably couldn't even give it away, on account of its slow speed and lack of RAM (or whatever the heck it's called). I find this hilarious because, at the time of purchase, that computer was state-of-the-art! It was the cat's meow. The envy of the neighbourhood. It remained that way for exactly two weeks when something better came on the market. That something better is also worth nothing today.

We bought a fantastic digital camera when I was pregnant. I don't regret it. It takes fantastic pictures. But I can't help cringing every time I see its price go down. And in a few years we'll probably have to buy a new one because this one will be insignificant (just like the ghosts of my computers past).

Think about how much wealthier we would be if we would only sit back and wait. If we were late adopter, we would be laughing all the way to the bank. We could travel around the world with the money I'd save!

My parents are the latest of the late adopters (and world travellers!). They clung on to their VCR until the bitter end. I remember my dad complaining endlessly about the dwindling selection of VHS rentals. So, I bought him a DVD player for his birthday a few years ago. It cost $99. I could probably get it for even less today. Those poor suckers who bought the original DVD players for over $1000. It's lucky for them that the DVD didn't go belly up like the Beta.

My hubby would like a flat screen plasma TVs. Much to his chagrin, this is one purchase for which I plan to join my parents on the late adopters team. Why get rid of our antique television until it officially kicks the bucket? Besides, the television doubles as a change table.... By then time we need a new television, those flat screens will be a dime a dozen!

Good things come to those who wait!

No comments: