Wednesday, September 13, 2006

There's no turning back....

Of all days that my laptop had to die, it happened on my birthday. Happy birthday!!! Grrrrr.... Until I get a new one, I'm stuck sharing my hubby's computer. I know, I know. I shouldn't complain. After all, how many people own two computers? We can justify it because we don't have cable, and our television is older than I am. A friend once joked, "That's the same television my grandparents watched the first moon landing on." We may be behind in television technology, but we're leading edge with our computers.

I don't think we could last very long in a one computer household. We use our computers for everything! Teleworking, downloading pictures, emailing, surfing the web, blogging etc...

I should have never bought a laptop in the first place. They're expensive, and now that I've owned one I can never go back. After experiencing the freedom a laptop allows, I can't (and won't) consider buying a big, clunky, non-portable machine. As a writer I enjoy carting my laptop around from room to room, finding inspiration wherever I can -- in a nest of pillows, outside on the deck,in a ray of sunshine pouring through a window. Sometimes I sit next to the radio, letting the stories of the day influence my creative direction.

A laptop allows me to hide if I need privacy. I can take it to the park, to a coffee shop, or even into the bathroom. It's true that other computers would be cheaper, but can you really put a price tag on freedom?

My heart sank when my laptop drew it's last breath. And apparently, so will my bank account when it comes time to find its replacement.

No comments: