Thursday, September 07, 2006

Never a dull moment

So many people told me that my life would get much harder once the little guy started crawling. Boy, they weren’t kidding! Much of my day is spent chasing him around the house, keeping him out of harm’s way. I feel like a broken record the way I’m always saying, “no touch,” “ahhh-ahhh,” “where are you going?” and “be careful, that can hurt baby.”

I try not to be too much of a killjoy. After all, he needs to have the freedom to explore and learn from his environment. So I let him go crazy pulling clothes out of the closet, and books off of the low shelves. He also has free reign over the Tupperware cupboard. Unless something is a hazard (cords, plants, hot coffee, stairs etc…), I try not to get in the way of his fun.

He recently discovered that doorstops make a pleasing “twannnng” noise when you pull on them. Now, every morning when I’m trying to get him dressed, he wriggles away to his favourite spot behind the door. It was really cute until one day he managed to pry the little white rubber cap off the end. Can you say choking hazard? I tell you, I can’t let my guard down for a second. There are so many "hidden" hazards out there. Sigh….

Now that he’s mobile, doing chores is also getting trickier. While working in the kitchen I try to keep him occupied with wooden spoons, measuring cups and other interesting kitchen gadgets. But, alas, getting into the garbage, knocking over the bench, and rummaging through the recycling are much more exciting! Laundry is a little easier because he loves playing inside the laundry basket, and hasn’t figured out how to crawl out of it yet.

As exhausting as it is to have a crawler in the house, I really do take pleasure in watching him make new discoveries. When he’s truly delighted with himself, I share in his joy. And that goofy grin of his never fails to make my heart melt!

Life might be harder now, but it also just got more interesting.

No comments: