Saturday, February 03, 2007

The world needs a big blankie

When the little guy is upset, he reaches for comfort in the form of a fleece blankie. We have learned from experience that a blankie should be within reach at all times -- at home, in the car, in the diaper bag. Any time he's upset, mad, or in pain from those darn molars we offer him his blankie. Instantly (and I mean instantly) he calms down, and puts his thumb into his mouth. It's really quite amazing.

I've often thought it would be funny to run an infommercial advertising the "Wonder Blankie 2000". Calms any baby, any time, anywhere. As a bonus we'll throw in the "mini -blankie" for adults. Having a stressful day? Feeling down in the dumps? Need to cool off after a heated argument? The mini-blankie conveniently and discreetly tucks away in briefcases, office drawers, and is even compact enough to fit in a pocket!

Imagine the benefits the world would reap if everyone had a blankie. It could be the magic solution for world peace.

One of my colleagues told me that she secretly wished it was socially acceptable for adults to carry blankies. She confessed that she still has her childhood blankie. I confessed that I too still had mine -- and that it was among my most prized possessions.

Like my son, I was very attached to my blankies as a child. My mother says I had about a dozen of them and every night I would bring the "lonliest" one to bed with me. Over the years I widdled down my collection to one -- my favourite. It is yellow with age, and has a torn edge that I tried to repair with a needle and thread when I was too young to know what I was doing. The botched sewing job now adds to its charm.

Let's face it -- most of us have a secret blankie stashed somewhere. Most of us are just too ashamed to admit it.

My hubby is worried that our son is turning into a "blankie sissy". Well, then I guess he's joining the rest of us "closet" blankie sissies. I say we all unite, and hold up our blankies with pride. Blankies make the world a better place.

No comments: